May 28, 2010

I think Leela James has a point

Where the hell did all the music go?  When did music suddenly become a theatrical display of shock value shiz?  Though right now, Christina Aguilera is my "girl crush" (sorry Alicia!), when it comes down to it, my favorite style of music is any singer-songwriter.  Artists like Bebo Norman, Ray Lamontange, Damien Rice, Plumb, Lauryn Hill, Sarah McLachlan, Norah Jones, Alanis Morrisette, Alicia Keys, Annie Lennox, Marc Broussard, Cary Brothers, The Ting Tings and Sam Sparro to name a few.  They don't focus on the shock value, the fashion, the stage props, etc.  They are 100% focused on what they are best at: singing the music that they've written.  I've seen most of these artists live and there is just no comparison to a big pop concert.  I prefer the smaller venues, the ones with the concrete floors where 60 people are crammed into a small space, and no matter where you stand, you are in great eyesight of the artist performing (unless you're standing directly behind my 6'4" ass, sorry!).  It's when you go to one of these smaller venues, the artist can pull you into their world, tell you the story they've written and why.  I've seen more than 200 lives shows in my life so far, and it is definitely my drug of choice.  Live music.  There is nothing else on this earth like it that can get me that high.  Music is what makes the world go 'round.

I've listened to this Leela James song "Music" almost 5 times in the past half hour, because I can't get enough of the soulfullness of the song.  And the R&B vibe is just perfect for this (L A Z Y) Friday (I am definitely anxious for the 3 day weekend that lies ahead of me!).  The video which is a collaboration of years of soul music, is so well done.  It really expresses what Leela is singing about.  Where did all the music go?  Lauryn Hill, please make a comeback - if anyone can bring music back to its roots, its you!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree...video was quite interesting. Loved the movement with the poles. Love your site!

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More