Sep 22, 2010

This Week's Album You Can't Live Without


I can't live without music in general therefore there are so many albums that I would classify as ones I Can't Live Without.  One that immediately comes to mind would have to be Fumbling Towards Ecstasy by Sarah McLachlan. This is the quintessential, melancholy, rainy day album.  However to me, it defines a period in my life where I struggled with the fact that I was painfully shy and introverted. This was the first album that I ever bought that effected me profoundly on such a deep level.

I remember when I first heard the song Possession on the radio- I couldn't believe how pure and honest her voice was. Beyond Possession, the whole album really spoke to me. There was one song in particular on that album titled Elsewhere that was the definition of my life. There is a verse, The quiet child awaits that day when she can break free of the mold that clings like desperation. That quiet child was (and still is for the most part) ME. I can recall sitting in my room for hours with that album playing on my Aiwa Boombox and trying to learn every song on my flute. I wanted to be able to sing like her, with the tonality that she had and the ease of which she could switch from a chest voice to a falsetto....I still wish I could sing like that....but I thought that if I couldn't do that, I would sing through my flute. 

As embarrassing as this all is, I really feel it was the first album that shaped my current taste in music.  To this day, when I put on that album, I completely become that same person that I was....sitting in my room, in my McLachlan-esque world. Oh, and if you want to hear some insane vocal range, listen to Fear below....amazing!




Posted by SarahFreakin'

0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More