May 11, 2010

Chunk's Daily Truffle Shuffle (and a personal note)





Chunk's been taking a rest over the past week (too much shuffling) but is back today with Bebo Norman's "Walk Down This Mountain."  Bebo is the Contemporary Christian music hearthrob that sent millions of teenage (and adult) girls everywhere confess their love to him... until he got married a few years back, then it all came crumbling down (sort of).  I have been an avid Bebo fan since his very first album, "The Fabric of Verse" from 1996.  I have seen Bebo live in concert over 10 times (you'd think I was one of those crazy teenage girls) and he has never disappointed.

His incredible voice and deep lyrics has been keeping me coming back for more, year after year.  To date, my favorite albums include "Myself When I Am Real" and "Big Blue Sky."  Big Blue Sky has a very personal connection with me and nearly saved my life back in 2000.  Listening to his song "Tip of My Heart" while the rain poured down over my 1994 red Plymouth Duster, as I drove out onto the freeway thru the hills of Wisconsin, it got to me.  I was at a breaking point in my own life and ready to kiss this world goodbye.  I was hoping that during the drive, I would lose control over the car and crash into a freeway embankment or a concrete wall.  I just couldn't bare to live another day, with being so unhappy with who I was.  This song summed up the very way I was feeling.

It's on the tip of my heart, the words to say
But I fall apart and I walk away
There's an angry world pressed against my back 
And at every turn I keep looking back
And I know you promise me
Love through eternity
So why can't I just hold on

I want to live, I want to love
But I'm afraid my simple faith will never be enough
I want to laugh, I want to be set free
And let you hold all that my soul has deep inside of me
But I don't know where to start
It's on the tip of my heart

So would you take my hand, because I'm sinking in
To this life I've made, but don't understand
The clock moves so slowly, but time goes so fast
In this whirlwind world that will never last
This love you're giving me
It's not just make believe
Help me just to hold one
You open the sky, and open my eyes
And all my fears are scattered away
So I walk in grace, because I've seen your face
You are all that matters to me

So I'm gonna live, I'm gonna love
I'm not afraid because your grace will always be enough 
I'm gonna laugh, I'm gonna be set free
And let you hold all that my soul has deep inside of me
You have shown me where to start
It's on the tip of my heart

This song was a wake up call for me.  Everything the world had been telling me, that I wasn't worth it, that I wasn't enough, that I was just mediocre, was a complete lie and I had an entire life ahead of me full of grace and mercy and peace.  I am so thankful that I allow music to impact the very depths of my soul on a daily basis.  Had I not been so willing to hear what Bebo was singing about, I may not be here today.

I don't want this to be a depressing post or a pity post.  I honestly am so happy with my life right now.  I'm like a Gummi Bear, dancing here and there and everywhere (anyone get that reference?).  Sure, there have been bumps in the road but there are great musicians and artists like Bebo who keep me moving forward with their honest lyrics and deep faith.



0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More