Oct 29, 2010

Introducing: I Blame Coco


One of the best things about having outgrown my 500GB external hard drive is that everyday, it's like discovering new music for the first time.  I constantly come across music I forgot I had and sadly, ones that I really should be listening to - again and again!  I Blame Coco was one of those recent finds.  Though I've had her debut album Constant for a month now (the album drops November 8th), I didn't really start listening to it until this past week - and I honestly can't get enough.  It's the perfect blend of alternative rock with an electro vibe, with slight hints of reggae on just about every track.  She may be the daughter of Sting, but Coco births her own sound - so don't go making those judgements about her daddy's well known.  Her vocal range seems to be on the lower spectrum (I actually thought it was a guy singing upon first listen), reminding me of the sexiness of such greats like Cat Power and The Runaways.

Her first single released in February was Caesar featuring our favorite, Robyn (see below), which unfortunately failed to chart in the UK.  Following that, the beautiful electronic ballad Self Machine in July, charting at 64 in the UK.  Her third single Spirit Golden will be released on November 1st - and I think this one will definitely chart higher.  Other highlights from the album include her cover of Neil Young's Only Love Can Break Your Heart (definitely some Sting influence here), the vulnerable It's About To Get Worse, the reggae rock mashup No Smile and the rhythmic Party Bag.



Sidenote: US release date is unknown unfortunately.  For now, you'll have to pick up the album on Amazon.com or Legalsounds.com

0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More